When does writing happen when we use multimedia online? How does writing change?
Podcasting is one example of using multimedia to publish online. We can also us images, videos, animation, or smell-o-vision (coming soon!). By looking closely at examples from one medium and practicing the use of that medium, we hope to inspire thinking about how writing and media work differently in a digital, online world where self-publication is possible.
- Text with media <---> Text and Media <---> Media with Text
- What do you listen to?
- Two sites where we'll find most of our examples for this hour:
- Weblogs & Wikis & Feeds, Oh My!
- Youth Voices Coast to Coast: NYC & Utah
- Examples of podcasting by Paul Allison, Susan Ettenheim, and Chris Sloan:
- Early: iTunes and a Pedagogy of Podcasting
- Middle: Spring Planning on Skype
- Recent: Tech Matters 06: Tuesday - Planning Day
- NPR-type example: Iraqi journalist's visit
- News story text & editorial audio
- Response: Important Issues
- Multi-media research: The Issues of Immigration (with responses)
- Investigative Journalism: Teens Playing the Safe Sex Game
- Column: Chloe's harp